The IEAL-J Public Lecture Series are an excellent opportunity to share up-to-date and relevant international and local research which has potential to influence changes to educational policy and practice.
Presenters of IEAL-J Public Lectures are strictly by Invitation although the “Standing Committee on Outreach & Public Engagement”, will from time to time, consider nominations.
All IEAL-J Public Lectures are grounded in research.
All IEAL-J Public Lectures are open to the public and are free to ALL attendees.
Past IEAL-J Public Lectures/ Speakers:
1. April 2014. School Leadership, Governance and Accountability. Delivered by Mr Ian Potter, Headteacher, Bay House School & Sixth Form; and Mr David Wiltshire, Lecturer, University of Portsmouth, UK.
Discussant: Miss Sonja Simms, College of Agriculture, Science & Education.
2. November 2014. Successful and Effective School Leadership in Jamaica: What school leaders know and do. Delivered by Professor Paul Miller, IEAL-J President & Brunel University.
Discussant: Dr Disraeli Hutton, University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica.
3. April 2015. Prevalence and Patterns of Substance Abuse in Jamaican Secondary Schools: Implications for learning and behaviour. Delivered by Dr Ellen Campbell- Grizzle, Dean, College of Health Sciences, University of Technology, Jamaica.
Discussant: Mr Michael Tucker, Executive Director, National Council on Drug Abuse, Jamaica.
4. July 2015. Developing TVET: a model for Jamaica. Delivered by Dr Grace Mclean, Chief Education Officer, Ministry of Education, Jamaica.
Discussant: Dr Marcia Rowe-Amonde, HEART Trust- NTA, Jamaica.
5. November 2015. Challenges of Quality: the role of the development of the National Qualifications Network. Delivered by Mrs Maxine Henry-Wilson, Commissioner, Jamaica Tertiary Education Commission and for Minister of Education, Jamaica.
Discussant: Dr Fritz Pinnock, Caribbean Maritime Institute, Jamaica.
6. April 2016. Corruption as Redemption? Barriers to Progression among teachers in Jamaica. Delivered by Professor Paul Miller, IEAL-J President & Brunel University.
Discussant: Dr Laurette S. M. Bristol, Catholic College of Mandeville, Jamaica.
Upcoming Public Lectures
7. December 2016. A Multilevel Examination of Curriculum in Jamaica: Policy and practice. Delivered by Dr Carmel Roofe, IEAL-J Vice-President & Lecturer, University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica.
8. February 2017. The Performance Dimensions of the High-performing Principal: evidence of effective school leadership. Dr Disraeli Hutton, Senior Lecturer, School of Education, University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica.
Discussant: Dr Taneisha Ingleton, National College for Educational Leadership, Jamaica.
Members of the Standing Committee on Outreach & Public Engagement are:
1. Dr Carmel Roofe, Chair, IEAL-J Vice- President & Lecturer, UWI.
2. Mrs Kadia Hylton-Thomas, IEAL-J Vice- President & Teacher, St Jago High.
3. Mr Stephen Wallder, IEAL-J Member & Lecturer, University of Technology, Jamaica.
4. Dr Shermaine Barrett, Senior Lecturer, University of Technology, Jamaica.
5. Dr Hope Mayne, Lecturer, University of Technology, Jamaica.
6. Dr Janet Campbell- Shelly, University of Technology, Jamaica.